Haley Fredrickson has been a vegetarian for 16 years, and she concocted this recipe to create a healthful treat free of refined sugars and white flour for her two children. They love them—and so do we.
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. nonaluminum baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 /2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. organic lemon flavoring
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. In small bowl, whisk together soymilk, brown rice syrup, oil, and lemon flavoring.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well by hand.
- Gently fold in raspberries. Fill the cups of 12-cup muffin tin two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool on cooling rack so bottoms do not become soggy.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 muffins
- Calories: 136
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 108 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g