This wintry grain salad is a take on tabbouleh, served warm with arugula substituting for traditional mint. Watercress, another peppery green, can be used in place of the arugula. The dish tastes great as a next-day salad too.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 4 cups arugula, divided
- 2 cups parsley leaves
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 to 3 drops red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water and salt to a boil in large saucepan. Add bulgur, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, pulse 2 cups arugula, parsley, green onions, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add lemon juice, oil, and red pepper sauce, and pulse until combined.
- Remove bulgur from heat, and stir in arugula mixture, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1/4 cup remaining arugula on each plate, and top with bulgur.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 169
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 268 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g