- 1 cup French green lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for forming and cooking burgers
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (thawed, if frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup shelled, cooked edamame
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced, roasted mild chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander, and turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Simmer lentils in plenty of water until very tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well, and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, corn, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Pulse the cooked lentils, one can of black beans, and edamame in a food processor to a rough purée.
4. In a large bowl, combine lentil mixture, the remaining can of black beans, cooked vegetables, and remaining ingredients.
5. Cover and refrigerate mixture for at least 1 hour.
6. Form the mixture into 8 patties using lightly oiled hands. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet, and chill at least 1 hour.
7. Griddle on high heat or sear patties in a hot, well-oiled pan for 4 to 5 minutes or until well-browned; flip carefully and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serving Size: Makes 8 burgers