Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This pasta dish is based on a traditional recipe enjoyed in Liguria, Italy. To toast pine nuts, place in small, dry pan on medium heat and cook, shaking pan, until golden, 11⁄2 minutes. An arugula salad will make a nice accompaniment.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add basil, pepper flakes and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and raisins and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Add pine nuts, bread crumbs and soy cheese to sauce; stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in flaxseed or olive oil. Add pasta and toss to coat. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 256
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 71 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g