A spicy dish with great flavor and texture, this greens mixture contains a delicious potlikker, which is the vitamin- and mineral-rich broth that comes from cooking down the greens.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 14-oz. bulk-style soy “sausage”
- 16 oz. mixed greens, such as mustard, collard, turnip and spinach
- 2 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine or vegetable stock
- 2 cups vegetarian “chicken” stock, boiling
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tbs. dried thyme
- Heat oil and crushed pepper over medium-high heat in a very large saucepan or stockpot for 1 minute. Add garlic and onions. Cook for 2 minutes, and add soy “sausage,” stirring and breaking apart with a large spoon. Cook mixture for 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browned. Add greens, reduce heat to medium-low and cook mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until greens cook down. Add vinegar, wine, stock and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add thyme, and cook 5 minutes longer, or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 155
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 392 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g