There are no hard-and-fast rules for mixing ingredients, except for the fact that it’s better to add dried fruits after the granola is baked so they don’t turn to rocks.
- 1/2-cup servingServings
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried fruit (raisins, chopped apricots, dried cranberries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup honey, golden syrup or maple syrup
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened wheat or corn flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place oats in a colander and sprinkle with enough cold water to dampen them. Transfer to medium mixing bowl. Add cereal flakes, wheat germ, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In small bowl, combine juice, honey and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread granola mixture in prepared pans. Bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes so that it browns evenly. Stir in fruit and bake 5 minutes more. Let cool and store in airtight container until ready to use.
- Serving Size: Makes 6 cupsVegan
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 124 mg