The “cheese” sauce is thickened with rice flour, making it both vegan and gluten free. This recipe was a winner in our 2008 Restaurant Poll, and is a popular entrée at the kid-friendly Vita Café in Portland, Oregon.
- 2 1/2 cups plain soymilk
- 2 1/2 Tbs. white rice flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. large flake nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated garlic
- 1 Tbs. granulated onion
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 8-oz. pkg. rotelli (corkscrew) pasta
- Whisk together soymilk, rice flour, yeast, soy sauce, granulated garlic, and granulated onion in saucepan. Simmer 4 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk in margarine and mustard, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and toss with sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 534 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g