This enlightened recipe has 200 fewer calories than the standard homemade mac and cheeseyet its still creamy-cheesy. Its great with a spinach and mushroom salad.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water; drain again.
- Process bread slices in food processor to fine crumbs. Add butter and 2 tsp. oil, and pulse to moisten. Transfer to small bowl.
- Purée cottage cheese in processor.
- Whisk 1/2 cup milk, flour and mustard in small bowl until smooth.
- In large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes, or until softened. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups milk, and bring to a bare simmer. Whisk in flour mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 7 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in puréed cottage cheese, Cheddar, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in macaroni, and transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 389
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 709 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g