Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This baked pasta dish is a healthful interpretation of the kids’ favorite.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook penne according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
3. Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted, stirring with tongs to cook all leaves. Drain, and press out any excess liquid. Coarsely chop wilted spinach, and set aside.
4. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, then add penne, spinach, 1/2 cup Parmesan, garlic, and nutmeg, if using, to sauce, and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Transfer to prepared baking dish, sprinkle remaining 2 Tbs. Parmesan over mixture, and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until top is browned.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 318
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 212 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g