These cookies are soft, chewy and packed with coconut, walnuts and oats. They are the perfect choice to serve with tea or coffee after dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 21⁄2 cups coconut and walnuts on separate baking sheets. Bake coconut until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally 5 to 7 minutes. Bake walnuts until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Set toasted coconut and walnuts aside; keep separate.
- Place remaining 3⁄4 cup raw coconut in shallow bowl; set aside. Lightly brush two baking sheets with oil or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- Put oats in a food processor and pulse on/off 6 times. Transfer oats to large bowl and add toasted coconut and salt. In food processor, process walnuts to a paste. Add oil, barley malt, maple syrup and vanilla and process until blended and smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Scoop dough with 1⁄8 cup dry measure and roll into balls, then roll each ball in raw coconut. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. (Don’t overcook; macaroons should be moist and chewy.) Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Serving Size Makes 21⁄2 dozen
- Calories 166
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 23 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g