Serve pico de gallo with a whole-wheat baguette instead of fried tortilla chips, and replace tomato with sweet mango. The avocado salsa adds healthy fats.
Pico de gallo is a traditional Mexican salsa. Serve it on a whole-wheat baguette instead of fried tortilla chips, and give it a Cuban twist by replacing tomato with sweet mango. The salsa with creamy avocado infuses healthy fats.
- 1 whole-grain baguette, cut into
- 20 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced mango
- 3/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Heat oven to 425°. Brush baguette slices on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper; bake on a baking sheet until light brown, about 7–9 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine mango, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño, garlic, cumin,
- coriander, and salt. Spoon mixture onto bread slices and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: Makes 20 crostinis
- Calories: 128
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g