This tangy-sweet salad is a good excuse to explore the gourmet cheese section of your supermarket and try something like Zamorano, a cheese made from aged sheep’s milk in the Castile-León region of Spain.
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. hazelnut, walnut, or olive oil
- 4 small firm Bosc pears, halved
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 3 oz. Parmesan, Pecorino, Zamorano, or other hard cheese
- Beet Dressing
- 3 Tbs. hazelnut, walnut, or olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 8 oz. cooked beets, finely diced (1 cup)
- To make Salad: Preheat oven to 400°F, and line baking sheet with foil. Whisk together maple syrup and hazelnut oil in bowl. Brush oil mixture on pears, and place cut-side down on prepared baking sheet. Roast 22 minutes, or until pears are tender and cut sides caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 350˚F. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet, and toast 7 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to kitchen towel, and rub off skins with towel. Cool, chop, and set aside.
- To make Beet Dressing: Whisk together oil, vinegar, shallot, honey, and mustard in bowl. Stir in beets, and season with salt and pepper. Toss arugula with Beet Dressing in bowl. Divide among 8 plates, and top each with pear half. Shave cheese over each salad with vegetable peeler, and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 246
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 211 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g