It’s fine to substitute other vegetables for the ones suggested here, but try to choose those with a similar amount of crunch.
- Juice from 1 orange ( 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb. firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped ( 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium stalks bok choy, sliced
- 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered
- lengthwise and sliced
- 4 oz. soba noodles (see glossary, p. 119)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix orange juice, water, soy sauce, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of ginger. Add tofu and stir gently to blend. Set aside to marinate while you cook vegetables.
- In large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and remaining ginger and cook, stirring often, until onion is golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in bok choy, celery and zucchini and mix well. Stir in tofu with marinade.
- Bake until tofu is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook soba noodles in large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain, return to saucepan and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Serve noodles with tofu and vegetables spooned over top. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 217
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 140 mg