Offered with a separate bowl of salted almonds and a festive glass of something bubbly, these tangy olives will pique your guests appetites. Be sure to allow ample time for the olives to marinate.
- 1 lb. whole Greek black olives, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried mint
- 1/2 tsp. crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, halved
- Place all ingredients except lemon in mixing bowl. Juice half lemon, and add juice to bowl. Cut remaining half lemon into thin rounds.
- Quarter lemon rounds, and add to bowl. Set aside to marinate at room temperature, tossing periodically, for at least 2 hours before serving.
Garlic, hot pepper, lemon, herbs and spices make these olives flavorful. A glass of something red—and very Italian such as a Prosecco, or a Pozzi Barbera, which is dry yet robust enough to stand up to the piquancy of the olives—would be a good pairing. For a smoother yet still slightly spicy red, try a Torre Spina Montepulciano.
- Serving Size: MAKES 3 CUPS
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 930 mg