The longer you leave the olives in the marinade, the more intense they become. Use within one week.
- 1/4 cupServings
- 8 oz. good-quality green olives (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage
- and/or chives)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried, crumbled
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. hot or sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 x 1-inch piece lemon peel
- Extra-virgin olive oil as needed
- Place olives in medium bowl. Add garlic, mixed herbs, rosemary, fennel seeds, paprika, peppercorns, salt and red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Pack olives into glass jar with tight-fitting lid, layering them with bay leaves. Add lemon peel, then enough olive oil to cover olives. Tightly cover jar and refrigerate at least 4 days, shaking occasionally.
- To serve, drain olives, discarding peppercorns, bay leaves and lemon peel.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 57
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 907 mg