To prevent burning, soak the wooden skewers in water while you assemble and prepare the other ingredients, or use metal skewers instead. Serve kabobs over freshly cooked rice, if desired.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. pesto
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. powdered garlic, or to taste
- 2 tsp. minced fresh savory or 1 tsp. dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 large scallions
- 8 oz. Italian-seasoned baked tofu
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded
- 16 white mushrooms, stems removed
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 vegetarian “meatballs”
- To make Marinade: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl, and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- To make Kabobs: Trim green parts off scallions, and reserve for another use. Cut white parts into 8 1-inch-long pieces. Cut tofu into 8 squares. Cut zucchini into 8 1-inch-long pieces. Cut pepper into 8 1-inch pieces. Thread vegetables and “meatballs” onto skewers, beginning and ending with mushrooms to help anchor other ingredients. Arrange skewers in baking dish, and spoon marinade over top. Turn skewers to coat, making sure that all vegetables are well covered. Set aside 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Uncover kabobs, if covered and chilled, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake kabobs about 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, turning once.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g