Here is a perfect recipe for using whichever seasonal vegetables are available at your local market. Serve the enchiladas with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa (recipe follows).
- 1⁄2 cup peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbs. ancho chile puree
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Vegetable oil for softening tortillas
- 18 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add squash and zucchini and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds. Add cilantro, basil, ancho puree, papaya, poblanos, bell peppers and reserved sweet potatoes. Cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup cheese, season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In medium skillet, pour in enough vegetable oil to come 1⁄4 inch up sides. Over medium heat, bring oil to just smoking. Using tongs, dip each tortilla in hot oil 5 seconds, then drain on paper towels. Transfer tortillas to work surface, being careful not to overlap them.
- Divide vegetable mixture evenly among tortillas and roll up to form enchiladas. In baking dish, place enchiladas seam side down in snug rows. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil. Bake in oven until cheese has melted, about 8 minutes.
- Serve enchiladas topped with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 413
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Cholesterol Content: 42 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 343 mg