Simple Seasoned Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup commercial tomato sauce
- 1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. soy “ground beef”
- 2 soy “sausage” links, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. shredded soy mozzarella
- 12 slices soy “pepperoni”
- 6 slices soy “Canadian bacon”
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- To make Simple Seasoned Tomato Sauce: Combine tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make “Meat” Topping: Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, and saut8E “ground beef” and “sausage” links for about 3 minutes, or until hot and slightly crispy. Using a spatula, remove “meat” from pan, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet and saut8E onions for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add Simple Seasoned Tomato Sauce, and stir. Remove from heat.
- Spread sauce mixture over pizza crust. Top with “ground beef,” “sausage,” cheese, “pepperoni” and “Canadian bacon” slices.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve.
The flavorful, slighty salty “meats” atop this pizza need a big Italian red. The Torre del Bardo Super Tuscan makes an excellent beverage choice.
- Serving Size: Serves 4 to 6
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 1040 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g