These hefty heroes provide a luscious lunch or dinner meal. Pair them with a chilled soup to start and a tart sorbet (lemon, lime, grapefruit) as the final note.
- 4 5-oz. hero rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 6-oz. pkg. soy “chicken” strips
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into sixths
- 1 cubanelle pepper, cut into long, thin strips
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté garlic, “chicken” strips, scallions, tomatoes and pepper strips about 5 minutes, or until tomatoes and pepper strips soften. Remove from heat.
- Put mixture into large mixing bowl, and stir in yogurt. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Mound mixture onto hero rolls, and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Put rolls onto baking sheet.
- Broil on center rack 3 to 4 minutes, or until tops are golden and cheese has melted. Slice each roll in half. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 570 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g