Stuffed peppers are a show-stopping, tried-and-true dinner classic. In this version, pomegranate juice and dried figs give it a Mediterranean feel.
- 4 large yellow or red bell peppers
- 3/4 cup pomegranate or cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup dried figs, stemmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup nonfat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut tops off peppers to use as lids. Scrape out seeds and ribs with knife.
- Combine pomegranate juice and figs in large saucepan, and cook over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, or until figs soften and juice reduces and becomes syrupy. Remove from heat, and stir in rice, squash, feta cheese and walnuts. Fill peppers with mixture, and set in 9x13-inch baking pan. Place tops on peppers. Add 1/2 inch water to pan, and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until peppers are tender with slightly wrinkled skins and filling is hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 215 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g