This updated version of a classic French terrine brings back the flavors of summer in a way that doesn’t feel out of place on a harvest table. Agar powder, a vegetarian substitute for gelatin, is available at natural-food stores and Asian markets. Garnish with Parsley-Garlic Crème.
1. To make Cashew Cheese: Soak cashews 3 hours in large bowl of water. Drain, and return to bowl. Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, and salt to bowl; set aside.
2. Whisk agar and garlic powders into 1 1/2 cups water in saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes, or until liquid thickens and agar dissolves, whisking constantly.
3. Add agar mixture to cashew mixture. Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Pour into terrine mold or loaf pan. Chill 1 hour.
4. To make Terrine: Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt. Let stand 20 minutes to sweat.
5. Preheat oven to broil. Place bell peppers on baking sheet, and roast under broiler 20 minutes, or until soft and blackened on all sides, turning occasionally. Cool.
6. Reduce oven heat to 400°F. Blot eggplant slices with paper towel, brush with oil, and place in single layer in roasting pan. Roast 1 hour, or until soft and brown. Alternatively, grill eggplant slices in grill pan over medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes, or until grill marks appear and slices are tender, turning once or twice. Cool.
7. Rub skins off of cooled bell peppers, remove stems and seeds, and cut each pepper in half.
8. Unmold Cashew Cheese from terrine mold, and slice in half horizontally so you have 2 long slabs. Rinse out terrine mold, and line with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap to hang over sides. Lay a few parsley leaves along bottom of mold, and top with a layer of eggplant, a layer of bell pepper, and a layer of Cashew Cheese. Repeat, ending with a layer of eggplant.
9. Fold ends of plastic wrap over Terrine, and place a weight (such as 2 15-oz. cans) on top. Chill 2 hours or up to 2 days. 10. To serve: Tilt Terrine over sink, and pour off any liquid. Invert Terrine onto platter to unmold, and slice into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 259
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 691 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g