The trick to an excellent vegan pastry crust is to keep all the ingredients cold. Even after you have rolled it out, keep the pastry-lined tart pan in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it. For this recipe, both the prebaked tart shell and filling can be made one day in advance, then assembled and baked just before serving.
- serving with 2 Tablespoons pestoServings
- HERB CRUST
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 cup cold canola oil
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 1/2 lbs. firm tofu, well drained
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. umeboshi vinegar
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. white miso
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme and oregano)
- 3/4 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup ripe olives (preferably kalamata), chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh basil
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
1. Crust: In medium bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder and salt. Add dill, oil and ice water. Working dough as little as possible, mix and roll into a ball. Wrap dough in wax paper and chill 20 to 30 minutes. Roll dough out and place in oiled 9-inch pie or tart pan. Cover and chill another 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover crust and bake 15 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool.
3. In food processor, combine tofu, 2 tablespoons olive oil, umeboshi vinegar, balsamic vinegar, miso, salt and water and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to medium bowl.
4. In large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add fresh herbs, mushrooms and olives. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add to tofu mixture, stirring until blended.
5. Pour filling into prebaked crust. Bake at 350 degrees, until top is lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sun-dried tomato pesto garnished with a sprig of fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 602 mg