Here’s a great recipe that was passed on to me by my father-in-law, Clyde. He uses ground beef, but this vegetarian version swaps in Tex-Mex-flavored soy crumbles. To make this a vegan dish, simply replace the Cornbread Topping with the Basic Pie Pastry, opposite: Drape it over the filling, and tuck in the sides just before baking.
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 12-oz. pkg. Mexican-style soy crumbles
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- Cornbread Topping
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, flour and soy crumbles, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (If seasoning is too mild for you, add 1/2 tsp. or so each of chili powder and cumin.)
- Transfer mixture to greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400F.
- To make Cornbread Topping: Combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl, and mix well; set aside. Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl until pale; whisk in buttermilk and oil. Set aside. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- Make well in dry ingredients, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined. Add green onions and jalapeño. Fold in egg whites. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Bake until topping is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 504
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Cholesterol Content: 74 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 998 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g