30 MINUTES OR LESS
Pick up the festive flavors of Mexico in this robust main-course salad. This would also make a beckoning brunch main dish. In either case, offer a basket of hot corn or flour tortillas as wrappers. To underscore the taco flavor, garnish this salad with whole or crushed taco chips, if desired.
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed
- 15-oz. can black or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 1/4-oz. can corn, drained
- 6-oz. can pitted black olives, drained
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 3 Tbs. taco sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dry lettuce leaves, trim off tough ends and line salad bowl with leaves.
- Combine beans, corn kernels, olives, scallions and tomatoes in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add avocado and coriander leaves and stir in gently.
- To make dressing, combine ingredients in bowl and beat together to combine. Toss salad ingredients with dressing.
- To serve, scoop bean mixture into the salad bowl. Garnish with sliced jalapeños.
- Serving Size: 4 TO 6 servings
- Calories: 470
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 30 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg