Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Cut tofu in half crosswise, then holding knife parallel to work surface, split each piece in half horizontally. Place tofu pieces in baking dish and lay large piece of plastic wrap over surface. Place plate on top and weigh down with one or two cans. Refrigerate tofu 30 to 45 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, using mortar and pestle or side of chef’s knife, mash garlic, cumin, oregano and salt into paste. Transfer to small bowl. Whisk in lime and orange juices and oil. Season with pepper.
- Remove tofu pieces from baking dish and blot dry with paper towels; discard liquid in dish. Return tofu to dish. Spoon half of lime juice mixture over tofu, spreading spices evenly and turning tofu to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day, turning occasionally.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill on high.
- While grill is heating, prepare slaw. In medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, honey and hot sauce. Add jicama, carrots and cilantro; toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil grill rack. Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade for basting. Grill tofu, basting occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Divide slaw among serving plates. Top each with a piece of grilled tofu. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs and serve right away.
- Serving Size 4 servings
- Calories 239
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 473 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g