Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Lori Wyeth’s recipe began nearly a decade ago as a beef lasagna. “The beef changed to turkey, then soy crumbles, then beans as my eating habits changed,” says Lori. “I added sautéed veggies, and now this is my favorite dish!” Lori, a radiation therapist, often treats her colleagues to veg meals. Honorable Mention, 2006 recipe contest.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 3/4 cup onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp. cumin and coriander, and cook 5 minutes. Purée onions with beans, cilantro and lime juice in blender.
3. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté remaining onion in oil 5 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini, and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in chili powder, garlic powder, jalapeño and remaining cumin, and cook 3 minutes. Add salsa, and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Layer 4 tortillas, 1/2 bean mixture and 1/2 vegetable mixture in prepared pan. Repeat, and top with cheese. Bake 30 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 397
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 547 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g