30 minutes or fewer
Using fresh pasta helps you assemble this dish in minutes. And the tortellini can catch and hold the sauce, yielding delicious bites with each mouthful. A tart green salad offers a flavor counterpoint, and oranges or poached pears provide a pleasing close. Makes about 9 cups.
- 1 20-oz. pkg. fresh 3-cheese tortellini
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 6 oz. taco-seasoned ground soy “meat”
- 4 oz. shredded low-fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced, for garnish
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, and cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic 30 seconds, and add tomatoes and chili powder. Cook 5 to 8 minutes; remove from skillet.
- Reheat skillet with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and add mushrooms and soy “meat.” Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to soften. Stir in tomatoes and cheese; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes more.
- Spoon equal portions of pasta onto plates; top with “meat” sauce, and garnish with avocado slices.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 165 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 380 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g