Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This light soup (traditionally made with chicken and chicken broth) gets its body from diced avocado, which is served with tortilla strips and added at the table, along with lime wedges and freshly chopped cilantro and green onions. The heat of the soup warms the avocado and tortilla strips without turning them to mush.
1. To make Broth: Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Add vegetable broth, lime zest, oregano, and 3 cups water; cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes. Strain Broth, discard solids, and return to saucepan.
2. To make Soup: Add rice to Broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in tomatoes and corn, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray flour tortilla with cooking spray, and cut into thin strips. Arrange strips on baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until tortilla is crisp.
4. Place diced avocado, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and tortilla strips in small bowls. Ladle Soup into serving bowls. Garnish with avocado, tortilla strips, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 321 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g