Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Soaking the chickpeas overnight and then grinding them in a food processor makes them digestible without sacrificing their crunchy texture. If you’re in a hurry, though, they can be brought to a boil for several minutes, removed from the heat and soaked for an hour, or as time allows.
- In large pot, combine chickpeas, bay leaf, kombu and 8 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, in water overnight.
- In shallow bowl, combine tomatoes in boiling water to cover. Let stand until softened, 20 minutes. Drain, chop coarsely and set aside.
- Drain soaked chickpeas, removing bay leaf and kombu (you can save kombu to use in soup, stew or other vegetable dish). Transfer chickpeas to food processor. Add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper and pulse until finely ground. Add reserved tomatoes, parsley, mint, tamari and lime peel and pulse briefly to combine. With rubber spatula, scrape mixture into large bowl and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cumin, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to chickpea mixture. Gradually stir in flour until well combined. Using 1/2 cup for each and packing firmly, form mixture into 9 round patties.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat gas grill to high. Place burgers on grill rack, brush with oil and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. To serve, stuff each pita with shredded lettuce and a burger, then drizzle with Lime-Tahini Sauce.
- Serving Size Makes 9
- Calories 358
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 930 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g