Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Portobello mushrooms and walnuts enhance these richly flavored croquettes. They’re great served with the Fresh Mango Chutney.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet; toast 10 minutes and set aside. Increase oven temperature to 375˚F.
- Brush mushrooms with a little oil. On baking sheet, arrange mushrooms with caps up. Roast 30 minutes. Let mushrooms cool, then chop. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan fitted with steamer, bring 2 inches water to a boil. Add tempeh, cover and steam 20 minutes. Break tempeh into small chunks and add to food processor.
- In medium saucepan, combine millet, 21⁄2 cups water and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff millet with fork. Add millet to tempeh in food processor and process to combine. Add 1 tablespoon tamari and 1 tablespoon vinegar and process until smooth. Transfer millet-tempeh mixture to medium bowl.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery, bell pepper, carrots, cumin, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 4 minutes.
- Add vegetables to bowl with millet-tempeh mixture. Stir in walnuts, mushrooms, mustard, remaining tablespoon tamari, remaining tablespoon vinegar and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Form into oblong patties, using 1⁄3 cup of mixture for each.
- In shallow bowl, mix cornmeal or bread crumbs and chili powder. Lightly dredge croquettes in breading so both sides are evenly coated.
- To bake: Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spay. Arrange croquettes on prepared sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes per side.
- To pan-fry: In large skillet, heat 1⁄4 inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add croquettes in batches. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Makes 24
- Calories 187
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 158 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g