Use a mellow-flavored miso rather than traditional red miso so it won’t overpower the milder flavor of basil and cashews. Use 1 tablespoon pesto per 1 cup cooked pasta. This mixture is wonderful served over angel hair pasta.
- 1/2 cup whole cashews
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. barley or chickpea miso
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cashews on baking sheet and toast in oven 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, combine lime juice, basil, miso, 1 tablespoon water, and salt and pepper to taste. Process until blended. Add oil and 1⁄4 cup cooled cashews and process until they’re finely chopped. Using spatula, scrape down sides of bowl when necessary.
- Spoon pesto over each serving and garnish with remaining whole cashews. If not using right away, store pesto, covered, in refrigerator for up to five days.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 88
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 107 mg