These refreshing appetizers are perfect for a warm day. Look for Korean red pepper powder at Korean markets.
- To make Bean Paste Sauce: Place brown sugar in heavy saucepan, and melt over medium-low heat, taking care not to burn. Remove from heat, and stir bean paste and sesame seeds into melted sugar.
- To make Wrapping: Trim edges of lettuce leaves to make them uniformly circular. Stack sesame or basil leaves alongside.
- To make Salad: Heat oil in skillet or wok over medium-high heat, and stir-fry tofu about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Slice avocado into 1½-inch-long pieces. Slice red pepper into 1 ½-inch-long pieces. Set aside.
- Combine white radish with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon red pepper powder. Set aside.
- Combine bean sprouts with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon salt.
- To assemble rolls, place 1 lettuce leaf on flat surface, and layer remaining ingredients in following order: sesame leaf, bean sprout mixture, radish mixture, tofu, cucumber, avocado and red pepper. Spoon about ½ teaspoon Bean Paste Sauce over top. Wrap by tucking ends in, and roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
With so many different flavors involved in these rolls, you can select a fruity white wine, a robust red wine or indulge in a pot of freshly brewed Korean green tea.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 1250 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g