Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
In typical Shaker fashion, fresh herbs magnify the flavor of this classic bean salad, while the briny flavor of the black olives, though optional, gives memorable zing.
- Fill large bowl with ice-cold water.
- Bring large saucepan of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove beans and plunge into ice water until cool. Return cooking water to a boil. Add lima beans and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well. Transfer lima beans to serving bowl.
- Drain green beans. Using fingers, pull apart two halves of each bean, then slice lengthwise to make French-cut beans. Cut long strips in half crosswise. Add to bowl with limas. Add cannellini beans and toss gently.
- Add onion, olives if using, basil, parsley, oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to bean mixture and toss well. Serve salad at room temperature.
- Serving Size 4 servings
- Calories 198
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 10 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g