A colorful filling of antioxidant-rich berries peeps seductively through the cinnamon-kissed topping of this simple coffee cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together egg and sugar. Add yogurt, applesauce, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended. Make well in center of reserved flour mixture, add egg mixture and mix with rubber spatula just until dry ingredients are moistened. Reserve 1 cup batter for topping. Spread remaining batter in prepared pan.
- Make filling and topping: In medium bowl, combine blueberries, raspberries and fruit spread. With rubber spatula, stir gently to coat berries with fruit spread. Spoon berry filling over batter in pan. Drop mounds of reserved batter by tablespoonfuls over berry filling. In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
- Bake coffee cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 30 minutes.
- Make glaze: Sift confectioners’ sugar into small bowl. Add vanilla and 2 tsp. milk; whisk to blend. Add just enough additional milk until glaze can be drizzled. Drizzle glaze decoratively over top of coffee cake.
Bake sale tip: Bake coffee cake in a 121/4 x 81/4 x 11/8-inch aluminum cake pan. To ensure even baking and make handling easier, set aluminum pan on a baking sheet.
- Serving Size 12 Servings
- Calories 243
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 168 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g