This favorite main-dish salad traditionally calls for diced chicken or turkey, crisp-cooked bacon and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Avocado, another common ingredient, has been retained in this version. The eggs have been eliminated, and of course the meats have been replaced with healthful soy-based analogs. Look for baked marinated tofu and soy deli slices in well-stocked supermarkets or natural food stores.
- 6 slices soy "bacon"
- 4 to 6 oz. baked marinated tofu or soy "turkey-" or "chicken"-style deli slices, diced
- 1 ripe, medium avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 ripe, medium tomatoes, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups torn dark green lettuce or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup natural, low-fat French or Catalina dressing, or more to taste
- Crisp-cook soy "bacon" according to package directions. Remove to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In large bowl, combine soy "bacon" and tofu. In small bowl, toss avocado with lemon juice, then add to tofu mixture along with tomatoes and lettuce. Add dressing, toss to coat and serve.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 121
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 189 mg