Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Roasted green beans give this lentil pâté a meaty flavor and texture. Make it a day or two ahead—the flavor gets better as it sits. Serve with whole-grain crackers.
- Bring lentils, bay leaf, 1 tsp. salt, and 4 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and simmer 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain, and remove bay leaf. Transfer to food processor.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans with 1 Tbs. oil on baking sheet and season with salt. Roast 10 minutes. Stir beans, then roast 15 minutes more, or until browned and crispy. Transfer to food processor.
- Toast walnuts in medium skillet 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned and fragrant. Transfer to food processor.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 7 minutes, or until soft. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 8 to 10 minutes more, or until onions are soft and golden. Transfer to food processor; season with pepper, and add remaining 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Process pâté mixture until coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to serving bowl. Chill 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 144
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 254 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g