This recipe originally appeared in Clean Eating Magazine. For more recipes, visit cleaneating.com.
1. In a small bowl, soak chiles in hot water until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain, and remove and discard stem and seeds.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, toast pumpkin and sesame seeds on medium-low, tossing in pan, until just golden, 1–2 minutes. Remove from saucepan. Add 2 tsp oil to pan, and heat on medium-high. Add onion and garlic, and sauté, stirring often, 2–3 minutes.
3. Add coconut sugar, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon to saucepan, and cook, 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add tomatoes, and cook until just softened, at least 3 minutes.
4. Add broth, chocolate, and almond butter to pan, and heat until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a blender or food processor along with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and chiles; purée until smooth. Return to saucepan, and simmer on low for 10 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy. Season with ½ tsp salt.
5. Lightly grease grill grate, and heat on medium-high. Lightly brush chicken with remaining 2 tsp oil, and season with remaining ¼ tsp salt and black pepper. Add chicken to grill, and cook until internal temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 4–5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board, and slice.
6. To serve, divide chicken among warmed tortillas. Drizzle sauce over chicken, and garnish with toppings of your choice (think avocado, cilantro, yellow bell pepper, radishes, full-fat yogurt or sour cream, or lime wedges).
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 573
- Carbohydrate Content 45.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 463 mg
- Sugar Content 3.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 6 g