Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Spicy, sweet, and good for you, this delicious cake is a great way to start the day. This loaf is delicious as is, but you can also make it with a Pineapple Upside-Down “Topping.” Generously sprinkle prepared pan with light brown sugar and chopped walnuts or pecans. Arrange halved pineapple slices over top. Top with batter and bake. After baking, immediately loosen edges, and turn loaf out onto rack to cool. Replace any stray pineapple slices and nuts. Serve upside down.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, 3 6- x 3-inch miniloaf pans, or 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Prepare Pineapple Upside-Down “Topping” if desired.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk brown sugar, oil, 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice, carrot juice, and vanilla in separate bowl. Fold sugar mixture into flour mixture. Stir in crushed pineapple, carrots, raisins, and walnuts, if desired.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan(s). Bake large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, miniloaves 35 to 45 minutes, or muffins 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen edges, and turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size Makes 1 loaf, 3 miniloaves, or 12 muffins
- Calories 256
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 209 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g