A pinch of cinnamon is the secret ingredient in this tangy-sweet salad. For added color, use half orange carrots, and half yellow or purple heirloom carrots (a summer favorite at farmers’ markets).
- 1/2-cup servingServings
- 8 large carrots, grated (2 lb.)
- 3 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 large green jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped (1 Tbs.)
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 lemons, halved
1. Toss together carrots, parsley, 2 Tbs. oil, garlic, jalapeño, lemon zest, allspice, and cinnamon in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add lemons, cut-side down, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned and soft. Cool slightly, then squeeze lemon juice through strainer into carrot mixture. Toss well, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and chill 2 hours, or overnight.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 116
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 106 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g