Just a drizzle of this spicy oil added to beans, grains or vegetables will turn them into exciting fare.
- 2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. whole fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In heavy, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast cumin, coriander and fennel seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. (Be careful not to burn spices.) Immediately transfer seeds to spice grinder (an inexpensive coffee grinder will do) or mortar and pestle and grind with cinnamon, ginger and red pepper flakes.
- Return spices to skillet. Add oil and heat just until oil is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Strain oil through a fine-meshed strainer lined with cheesecloth and store in tightly closed jar.