Soup at a stand-up affair? It’s possible—and perfectly elegant —when you serve it in demitasse cups or shot glasses. Recipe from Gisele Perez, Small Pleasures Catering, Los Angeles.
- DEMITASSE SERVINGServings
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced (about 3 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (2 1/2 Tbs.)
- 3 medium-size carrots, diced
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce (about 10 oz.)
- 2 1/2 tsp. harissa
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- Crème fraîche, for garnish
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring often.
- Add carrots and potato and cook 4 to 5 minutes more, or until potatoes begin to brown.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, harissa and 2 tsp. thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Transfer mixture in small batches to blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender, and purée until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot in demitasse cups or shot glasses, garnished with crème fraîche and thyme leaves, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 10 (makes 30 demitasse servings)
- Calories: 30
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 141 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g