Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
We call for coffee ice cream in these frozen sandwiches, but you can use any flavor you’d like.
- Drop six 1⁄2-cup mounds of ice cream onto waxed paper–lined baking sheet. Using metal spatula, shape each mound into 3- to 3 1⁄2-inch square. Freeze squares while preparing dough.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar using electric mixer until smooth. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa and salt. Add to butter mixture and beat until soft dough forms. Gather dough into ball; flatten into rectangle. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 13 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough, still between waxed paper sheets, on baking sheet. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel top sheet of waxed paper off dough; discard. Trim dough to 12 x 9-inch rectangle; then cut dough into twelve 3-inch squares. Transfer squares to parchment-lined baking sheet, discarding waxed paper and spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are firm, about 20 minutes. Cool cookies completely on baking sheet.
- Arrange 6 cookies, flat side up, on work surface. Top each with frozen ice cream square, then another cookie, flat side down, pressing slightly to adhere. Cover and freeze sandwiches until ready to serve. Ice cream sandwiches can be made up to 4 days ahead. Store, wrapped in plastic, in the freezer.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 574
- Carbohydrate Content 64 g
- Cholesterol Content 136 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 21 g
- Sodium Content 165 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g