The secret to this creamy-crunchy hot cereal? Using coconut milk as part of the cooking liquid and sprinkling toasted coconut shavings atop the porridge. To save time, toast coconut in 1-cup batches and store extra in an airtight container until ready to use.
- 1/4 cup shaved or flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup millet
- 2 Tbs. quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked cream of rice cereal
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking Irish oatmeal
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2/3 cup plus 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup, divided
- 1 16-oz. bag frozen mixed tropical fruit
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300F. Spread shaved coconut on small baking sheet, and toast 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally to brown evenly. Cool, and store in airtight container.
- Meanwhile, combine coconut milk, salt and 5 cups of water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in millet and quinoa. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in cream of rice cereal, then oatmeal. Cook 5 minutes more, or until mixture thickens, whisking often. Fold in raisins and 2/3 cup maple syrup.
- While grains are cooking, combine tropical fruit and remaining 3 Tbs. maple syrup in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, or until fruit softens and juices are released.
- Divide cereal among 6 bowls, and spoon tropical fruit mixture on top. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts, and serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 404
- Carbohydrate Content: 79 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 42 g