Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The secret to this creamy-crunchy hot cereal? Using coconut milk as part of the cooking liquid and sprinkling toasted coconut shavings atop the porridge. To save time, toast coconut in 1-cup batches and store extra in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Spread shaved coconut on small baking sheet, and toast 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally to brown evenly. Cool, and store in airtight container.
- Meanwhile, combine coconut milk, salt and 5 cups of water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in millet and quinoa. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in cream of rice cereal, then oatmeal. Cook 5 minutes more, or until mixture thickens, whisking often. Fold in raisins and 2/3 cup maple syrup.
- While grains are cooking, combine tropical fruit and remaining 3 Tbs. maple syrup in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, or until fruit softens and juices are released.
- Divide cereal among 6 bowls, and spoon tropical fruit mixture on top. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts, and serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 404
- Carbohydrate Content 79 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 110 mg
- Sugar Content 42 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g