Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
You can’t beat lasagna for crowd appeal and make-ahead convenience. For brands of oven-ready lasagna noodles that contain 12 noodles per box, use 3 noodles per layer. For those with 16 noodles, use 4 per layer.
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Remove stems from Swiss chard leaves; cut stems into 1/2-inch lengths. Cut leaves into 1-inch strips. Add stems to boiling water, cover and cook 3 minutes. Add leaves, cover and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water; press out excess moisture.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, about 10 seconds. Transfer to bowl, and stir in Swiss chard and 2 cups marinara sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk together egg, ricotta, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in bowl. Put 3 or 4 lasagna noodles in large bowl, and cover with warm water; let soak.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F (unless making ahead to bake later).
5. Spread about 1/2 cup marinara sauce in 9×13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place 3 or 4 dry noodles over sauce. Cover with 2/3 cup ricotta mixture. Top with 1 1/2 cups Swiss chard mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat layering two times.
6. Lift soaked noodles from water, pat dry and arrange on top of lasagna. Cover with remaining marinara sauce. Tightly cover pan with aluminum foil. (Lasagna can be prepared ahead to this point, and refrigerated up to 2 days.)
7. Bake 35 minutes, and uncover. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until noodles are tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 600 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g