Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These hearty, healthy burgers get an unexpected crunchiness from the addition of oat bran. The burgers call for such accompaniments as a tossed spinach salad garnished with crumbled cheese or garlicky croutons and a simple custard or pudding for dessert. Instead of wine, you might pair these with a flavorful stout ale. See alsoOven French Fries
- Combine mushrooms, beaten eggs, oat bran, shredded cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper in large mixing bowl. Shape mixture by hand, pressing ingredients together into burgers.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 2 tablespoons oil, place several burgers at a time in skillet and pan-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Turn over, and pan-fry second side until golden. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels. Repeat, adding remaining oil, until mixture is gone.
- To serve, arrange burgers on plate, and garnish with parsley and cheese, if desired.
These burgers are earthy and comforting. Match them up with a simple side of steamed greens or roasted root vegetables, and you’ve got a super wine-friendly meal. Pinot Noir is especially complementary to mushrooms, and the state of Oregon is home to many superb makers of Pinot Noir.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 195 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 410 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g