Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Here’s a delicious twist on the classic with a medium spicy kick. If you like your chili extra picante, drizzle in a few drops of hot sauce or chili puree at the end. Feel free to substitute your favorite combination of mushrooms for the ones listed here.
Meal Plan: While stew is simmering, make some quick-cooking brown rice. Saute broccoli florets with garlic. Top chili with a dollop of salsa.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, combine all mushrooms and process until coarsely chopped. (You should have about 5 cups.) Add mushrooms, chili powder, cumin and oregano to saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, vinegar and 1 cup water to mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture has reached desired thickness, about 10 minutes. Stir in scallions and adjust salt to taste. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 313
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 627 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g