This recipe is a great use for leftover rice, which keeps up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Serve this dish with a salad; fresh pineapple topped with coconut shavings ends the meal nicely.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, or 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 12 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems and gills removed, caps thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, including green tops, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. mushroom or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add half of both mushrooms and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, or until tender and golden. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining mushrooms and 1 tsp. oil. Add mushrooms to plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in same pan over medium heat. Add green onions, ginger and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring often, 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Increase heat to medium-high and add rice, soy sauce and broth. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and peas. Cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through. Remove pan from heat and stir in sesame oil. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 282
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 461 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g