Serve these quesadillas with steamed broccoli florets and a flavorful rice or grain pilaf.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 8 oz. sliced button mushrooms
- 8 oz. shiitake, stemmed, or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 8 fat-free, whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 6 oz. white cheddar, smoked Gouda or soy cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over onion and add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir occasionally, until mushrooms soften, about 8 minutes. Stir in parsley and transfer to serving plate. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Rinse and dry skillet, and reheat over high heat.
- Heat tortillas in hot skillet, 1 minute each side, adjusting heat so tortillas don’t burn. Divide mushroom mixture among 8 tortillas, placing mixture on one side of tortilla. Sprinkle cheese evenly over mushrooms. Fold tortillas in half over filling.
- Cook quesadillas in same skillet until golden and crisp on both sides and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 8 SERVINGS
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 23 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 632 mg