Fragrant with two kinds of paprika, this hearty mushroom stew is wonderful served over your favorite noodles. To make it dairy-free, simply use a soy-based sour cream alternative. If you would like extra fire, increase the hot paprika to 2 teaspoons and use 2 teaspoons mild paprika.
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 12 oz. cremini mushrooms, small ones halved, large ones quartered
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbs. mild Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp. hot Hungarian paprika, or to taste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream or low-fat soy sour "cream"
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 8 minutes, reducing heat if onions brown too quickly. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add both mild and hot paprikas, stirring well to coat vegetables and prevent scorching. Add 2 cups water and salt; mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Two or three minutes before the end of cooking, increase heat and boil briskly to reduce sauce and concentrate flavors. Reduce heat to low. Wait until boiling subsides, then stir in sour cream and heat through, stirring. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 373 mg